Sailing, Cruising, Boat Maintenance:Anything by Nigel Calder - He is the boat god. We have most if not all of his books. If we have a maintenance issue we've learned to check Calder first. The four I know for sure we have on board are:
Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual - Mark LOVES this book
Marine Diesel Engines
How to Read a Nautical Chart
World Cruising Routes by Jimmy Cornell - basically tells you where you can go and when. We use this book every time we plan a crossing. We've only found him to be wrong once and unfortunately it was the waypoint set for Brisbane when Mark was sailing solo to Australia.
World Cruising Destinations by Jimmy Cornell - We don't have this one. He had an older version, World Cruising Handbook, that went out of print before we started sailing. We've seen it on other boats so I would guess this one is as good. It lists the ports of calls and customs procedures. The only issue is that this stuff changes very regularly so since the book is now about 1.5 years old it may already be out of date.
The Voyager's Handbook by Beth Leonard - Good all around book about everything cruising.
Chapman Piloting & Seamanship - All the rules of boat handling, navigation, safety and etiquette.
The Motion of the Ocean by Janna Esarey - This book makes Mark and I laugh out loud. It is us in so many ways. If you really want to know what cruising is about read this!
Have you reviewed a book on your blog or have a list of great sailing books? Then link it up so I can check it out and so can others:
- Links should pertain to the topic you are linking too.
- Do not post links for stuff you are trying to sell unless it will truly benefit the topic.
- Please also edit your article to include the Northfork button (available in our sidebar) or put it somewhere on your blog so that others who read your post know where to find more on the topic and can join in.
- Please link directly to the post, NOT your blog.
- Visit others who have linked up and leave them a comment.
- Follow me so that you can find out about future topics and remember to come back each month.
- I can, and will, delete links that are not appropriate.