Thursday, July 5, 2012

Happy 4th of July!

Happy 4th of July! Those of you who have been reading my blog for a while probably know that the 4th of July is my FAVORITE holiday. I love everything about it. It’s a no stress holiday (no gifts, no travel), lots of yummy foods (can you say BBQ and watermelon), and who doesn’t love a good fireworks show. Plus, I love celebrating the USA! I am so glad that I was born and raised in such a wonderful country and am thankful for all the opportunities it has given me; including the ability to be sailing and seeing the rest of the world.

One of the challenges that I’ll have raising MM on the boat is to instill in him my American values and help him be proud of his home country even though he isn’t being raised there. I plan to have putting-out and taking-in the flag each day his job when he is old enough and we already pledge allegiance to the flag. I also make sure we listen to patriotic songs at least a couple of times a week. I’ll be looking for other ways to help him feel connected to the US as he grows up, possibly summer camp in the states with his cousins. I couldn’t think this to be more important. I’m proud of where I come from and I hope my son will be too.

As for celebrating the fourth, last year I was able to have a big celebration on Northfork with a couple other American boats. I wasn’t so lucky this year as there wasn’t anyone around and we are doing some major planning and prep work right now but don’t worry MM got a little fireworks show. Like last year I purchased some party-poppers and set them off in the cockpit. He wasn’t really interested though; hopefully next year he will be and I can do up the 4th as it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...